Superintendent Neil Evans from Tameside police said: “Although a man has now been charged following the attack on the two 17-year-old teenagers in Hyde on Saturday 4th February, I want to stress that this investigation is still very much ongoing.”
“We would like to thank the community for their support so far, as they are assisting our officers to make significant progress with their inquiries.”
“However, we are also aware there are a lot of rumours circulating and we are asking people not to speculate on what has happened or take matters into their own hands.”
“If you have any information you think may assist the police in this investigation please contact us; in complete confidence if necessary. There are extra officers on patrol in the area and if anyone has concerns or information they wish to share they can speak with these officers directly or contact us anonymously via Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111 .”
Please feel free to share this update.
GMP Community Tension Team
We applaud GMP for admitting these recent attacks were racially motivated and on the arrest they have made, and we have said that if the attackers are caught and charged with racially aggravated assaults/GBH then we will gladly call off all planned demos for Hyde. The ball is very much in their (and the CPS) court. One arrest from a gang of ten is not enough and wont stop other white kids being racially attacked in future.